Hello, I’m Chace and I’ve come from London to study Digital Media Design at Bournemouth University. I’ve chosen this course due to the diverse range of resource and learning it has to offer. I believe this course is the ideal platform for me to understand what part of digital media I enjoy most and that it will take me one step closer to achieving my dream of becoming successful digital designer.
This blog will be the window to what I’m up to in my course as well as other matters related to digital media. You’ll be able to see the things I learn and the steps I make to achieve certain criteria over the coming years.
As part of my unit for my final year I have pitched to create an iOS app using Swift 3. The app aims to reduce the food waste that happens at home. This inspiration comes from my experience as a sous chef at a Thai restaurant where we are taught to cook efficiently with minimum waste. And as a student I have seen a lot of fellow students struggle to be efficient with their ingredients.
The key features of the app are:
- Remind the user when their item is due to expire.
- Show recommended recipes based on the ingredients that the users has.
- Give advice on ways to store and use items as efficiently and wast-free as possible.
I will be responsible for all areas of this app and therefore responsible for time managing throughout the process of production.
My role will be:
- Research and planning.
- Wireframe and UI designs (Sketch, Photoshop and Illustrator).
- API and Database (Firebase).
- Version control (Github).
- Development (Xcode).
- Video trailer (After Effects).
- Graduate Exhibition.
Visit the website: http://www.foodbulb.co.uk
As a barclay’s account holder I’ve always been annoyed by the lack of mobile support when it comes to their main website. I guess it’s due to the high attention for their mobile apps. So I decided to try and do a mock up of a mobile view for their website.
As part my placement experience I was given an opportunity at Createful to have a first taste of life at a creative agency. Over the course of 5 weeks I was an iOS developer intern where I was responsible for coming up with a solution for an AppleWatch and iPhone version of their WeddingPlanner app.
Feel free to check out my blog post on their website where I talk about the things I did and took from my time there:
In this module we were asked to form mini agency’s and pitch for 2 live briefs. After that we were assigned to one of them and asked to create a functional application for our client.
I had a really good experience working as a team where we collaborated our ideas to create a functioning app that really pleased our client.
It turned out really well as we were able to get a first and the feedback that quoted “a very high level of work that is extremely close to be a polished app that a client would be happy to release”.
Below is a link to the pitch and final outcome of our app:
Holton Lee – Hexatech Brief Presentation
In this module we were introduced to Swift for the first time. This would be the language platform along with the Xcode developing kit that would be used to design a prototype app.
Below is a link to the dossier for the app:
I began creating the html file of the project and added css to it. Using the mock up design as guidelines I was able to create the webpage. We then built the design around the php that was helped out by Verity and Kyle.
Below are screenshots on how I did it:
Adding it with the PHP
Outcome from converging the php, html and css
I then added media queries to the project in order to make it responsive to different screen size.
Overall I am very pleased with the outcome of the project as we were able to collaborate as a team together to create it. It was very important that we all shared the same goals and ideas and were up to the challenge. I was able to learn a lot about the fundamentals of php and how they are used to create databases for a website. Our knowledge and understanding about databases allowed us to create a recipe website that functions in the ways we planned out initially. The design as well is clean and bold and therefore easy to understand navigate with the users. Despite many trial and errors we were able to achieve our goals.
As a recipe site it was important that we created a filter that would allow the users to narrow down their choices and find their recipe’s easier. We decided to base our filters on 4 different selections.
Screenshot of the submit php.
A lot of the work was done by Verity, however she was able to comment on each section to help explain her actions clearer to me and therefore I was able to understand it.
Overall the filtering process took time and a lot of trial and errors. It eventually became functional and we were able to see it in action.